As a bonus, this healthy buckwheat banana bread is not only delicious, it is gluten free. Pecans add a crunch, and chocolate chips nudge it toward the cake category. You won’t believe you are eating healthy.
Although I am credited as Author of this version, credit goes to the original source—-The Alternative Daily
Buckwheat Banana Bread
- 4 medium-sized ripe bananas mashed with fork or electric mixer—1 ¾ cups
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbsp melted and cooled butter or coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups light buckwheat flour gluten free
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips optional
- 1 cup chopped pecans optional
- Heat the oven to 350 °
- Lightly grease the loaf pans and set aside.
- In medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: buckwheat flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt. Whisk thoroughly.
- In larger bowl, mix mashed bananas, buttermilk, honey, eggs, melted butter or coconut oil and vanilla. If you are using powdered buttermilk, see NOTE.
- Add dry ingredients to liquid ingredients and blend well. I like to use an electric mixer to ensure there are no chunks of banana. Stir In chocolate chips by hand.
- Pour batter into greased pans. Sprinkle pecans on top if desired.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until top springs back when pressed lightly. Remove from pans and cool on wire rack. One more step for ultimate moistness. Wrap in plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 24 hours before cutting.